Transition Leicester has established several long-term projects, covering issues such as local food, energy and education. Many of the projects now operate independently from the Transition Leicester Core Group. In the past, we have provided seed funding and support to any individuals or unincorporated groups that have ideas that meet our Vision. If you would like to know more any of our projects, please use the contact form provided.
Transition Leicester Current Core Projects
- Permaculture – Our Permaculture Design Course runs annualyl course covering the basics of Permaculture Ethics and Principles for creating productive and sustainable gardens, homes, and more. Other courses related to sustainability and food production are offered throughout the year. We can also offer tailored courses for organisations, commmunity groups and businesses.
- Footpaths, which brings friends and neighbours together to help them reduce their carbon footprint through a series of regular meetings. The Footpaths project is also spearheading the The 2015 Festival of Making and Mending, which will take place on October 31st 2015 at the Friends Meeting House on the Queens Road, Leicester. For more details see http://www.leicesterfootpaths.org.uk/.
- Swap Shop. The swap shop is currently in storage waiting opportunities to come out and play. You can keep in touch with the Swap Shop or book its appearance at your event by visiting the Swap Shop Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/117602621710938/
- West End Cycles. Transition Leicester has a number of bikes for rent in the West End of Leicester. This project desperately needs volunteers to help it to run successfully. Please contact us if you would like to be involved in managing the administration of the project or practical upkeep and maintenance of the bikes.
Transition Leicester Sister Projects
These projects were initiated by members of Transition Leicester and now operate independently.
- Community Harvest Whetstone Leicestershire’s first Community Supported Agriculture project, which involves local people in growing food.
- Green Fox Community Energy – a co-operative promoting investment in sustainable and affordable energy in the Leicester area
- Green Light festival – an annual festival to promote and celebrate sustainable living in Leicester.
- LESSBIG stands for LeicesterShire Sustainable Self-Build Interest Group, and we are a network of people around Leicester & Leicestershire, and as the name suggests, we have an interest in sustainable buildings and self-building.
As Transition Leicester is a volunteer-led initiative, any project relies upon the motivation of people acting on something they’re passionate about to make it happen. So please consider getting involved with our existing projects, or think about any projects (big or small) that you’d love to initiate yourself that could be done under the Transition Leicester banner.
[contact-form][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Website’ type=’url’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Name of the Project I would like to know more about’ type=’text’/][/contact-form]